The majority of our CIEE group arrived this morning, either
in a flight form Detroit or Dallas (which was me). We awkwardly said hello as
we saw in each other’s faces, the anxiety we all had in our own. In Dallas
Kacey and Dana, a girl from Ann Arbor walked around and got frozen yogurt. I
that walk around the stupid airport was when I realized that for the next six
months I will be having the excitement of constantly seeing and doing new
things like take a stupid picture in front of a metal castle at the Dallas
airport. The flight was long but I luckily had a little stash of sleeping pills,
which knocked me out for a good six hours. Upon arrival I had my first official
conversation with an airport security officer after the customs woman shooed me
away, despite the fact that I had all the right papers. I knew I did, and she
was wrong but she just shook her hand in my face and mumbled for me to go
somewhere else! But it was her loss because the policeman brought me to the front
of the line and a very nice woman helped me get through. From the airport we
drove from Santiago to Valparaiso, and inevitably, I fell asleep and missed all
the apparently spectacular views. In Viña del Mar we got to our hotel and we were fed an
elaborate three course meal, with an entrée of some sort of chicken with ham
and cheese roll. After this we had a short introduction meeting and then a fun icebreaker
game at a park nearby. It was by far the
most fun I’ve ever had at an ice breaker (sorry GV!). The most memorable was the
activity when two groups had to get everybody in our group over a rope that was almost
at head level without touching the rope or passing under it. We got everyone
over using multitude of strategies until the end when the two groups had to
help each other. Then after these games we had a delicious dinner at a little
family-run café that served pisco sours, wine, a sort of Sheppard’s pie with
egg in the mashed potatoes, Chilean salad, and an apple cobbler. DELICIOUS, but
holy moly starches, starches, starches!! Already I can tell it’s going to be a
fun time!
Hasta Pronto!
No comments:
Post a Comment