Saturday, July 20, 2013

familia, introducciones y cerro alegre

Our first full day included a wonderful tour by CIEE workers! Fernando, un profesor de CIEE was my leader along with Cezar, a student activity organizer. I think I asked about 30 questions about transportation and how the micro (buses) works and I have yet to understand it fully. We went to La Vista Baron, which was magnificent and we saw all of Valpo. We went from el Puerto, or the port neighborhood all the way to Baron which was a fairly extensive walk although I'm pretty sure it wasn't a lot and I'm just used to Kalamazoo distance. It was great just to be outside and exploring as well as chit chatting with my CIEE amigos. After our tour we went out to dinner and had the most delicious empenadas I've ever had and also the only empenadas I've ever had. On our way back to our hotel, Miriam offered to take us out to get a drink at Bar Fusion a few blocks away. There was only six of us but it was perfect as an introduction to night life in Chile. My favorite part about this bar was watching the old man at the bars very uncomfortable face, staring at us the entire time with absolutely no shame whatsoever. In our last night at the hotel, Cameron, Kacey, and I got our typical hotel bed jumping out of the way in unison with our declared theme song, We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus.

Meeting mi madre y mi familia chilena was surprisingly easy once we were face to face but my stomach was in knots all  morning. Constanza or "Coty" is my hermanita who was waiting for me in the lobby with her two cousins Isi and Nini. My inner chica came out and we bonded almost instantly. I've never experience such a quick transition from stranger to family member as I did with Coty and Ximena who is mi mama. Straight from the hotel we drove to Concón which is a few little towns away to watch Andres, mi hermano play rugby FOR 4 HOURS. I was surprised that nobody complained once about being there, almost as if they would do anything for a family member without question, even if it meant watching multiple games for four straight hours without even knowing the rules of the game. After this we drove home along the beach and saw this:

WHAT?!   Are you telling me I'll be living here for six months? al;kjew;lfkjasldkfjakjdfhlajknd;f!!!!! This is postcard worthy. The number of picture Coty took with my camera is ridiculous but some of them are wonderful. Finally after a long drive home we finally get home and I walk into my room and BAM BAM BAM



I think I can handle living here even though the micro is terrifying. I can hear the carretes (fiestas) from my room so that makes me happy along with this amazing views. Also did I say that this is from a balcony? In my room? The only one there is in the house? Oh yeah, well it is!

Plans for tomorrow: money, cell phone, jogging? and maybe getting a hat and some gloves cause my fingers are about to fall off right now- there is no central heating and mi familia doesn't have any space heaters. 

Ok tengo sueño, buena noche!
-Camila



1 comment:

  1. It's stunning to think of you all the way in Valparaiso, in such a gorgeous spot, with a new (temporary) family already. I love how brave you are, Camille. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    Love,

    Marty

    ReplyDelete