Monday, August 19, 2013

Mendoza, Vino y el Tenedor Libre

This Thursday in Chile we had the day off to celebrate Dia de la Virgen and so we (me and Kacey) decided it was the perfect weekend to take a trip to Argentina! AFter a week of preparation booking hostels, looking at things to do and buying our tickets, we left thursday morning for the Valparaiso bus station. In order to enter the country of Argentina as a US citizen you must pay a reciprocity fee of $160 and print the receipt in order to show proof at the border. Unfortunately, Kacey had forgotten the form at her house and they didn't let her on the bus!! Even though she had proof on her Iphone that she had payed, they wouldn't let her on in case they wouldn't let her through at the border. It was a bit of a panic and heartbreaking moment when we realized that she wasn't going to be joining me on the trip that day. Luckily another group of girls from our program were going too and ended up being on the same bus as us and Kacey was able to get a new ticket for the next day. It was definitely a disappointing and traumatic experience but I doubt me or Kacey will ever do something like that again!!





After a BEAUTIFUL day of driving through the Andes Mountains we arrived around 6pm at the Mendoza bus terminal. I ended up following the girls from the program to their hostel to see if there was extra room for me to sleep there one night! My first time traveling alone and the thought of going to our hostel alone was a little daunting. It was a great little place and we met some young Danish men who have spent the past six months WOOFing through South America. WOOFing is the international organization of farms that people can receive food and lodging in exchange for work done on the farm. It is a seemingly great program that I've heard a lot of good things from and am thinking about doing during the few weeks that I have to travel in December and January. We went to a Tenedor Libre which is a buffet like restaurant where you can eat as much delicious food as you want for around $20. it was SOOOOOOO good. I think it was the first meal I've had in South America where there were veggies, veggies and more veggies! It was the best meal I've had in a month and it felt so good to eat fresh foods again. The veggies allowed for me to have devour crepes filled with dulce de leche and pistaccio ice cream on the side. I will never forget that meal. It was so good that I went back the next night with Kacey when she arrived!


Friday was spent walking around the city, looking in leather boutiques and walking around Parque San Martin, which is a park that is about half the size of the city. It took an hour to walk from on end to the other! But it was beautiful and very refreshing to see trees and nature. Valparaiso unfortunately doesn't have any major park areas, although the ocean is just as beautiful, if not more than the park. Kacey arrived around 5:30 and we headed out for dinner a few hours later! We met the nicest couple from a little Chilean mountain town who invited us to sit with them while we ate. They were SO wonderful and we spent almost three hours with them. They ended up giving us their number and email address and invited us to spend the weekend at their place!



Saturday was the best day of the weekend I'd have to say! We took a public bus out to Maipu in the outskirts of Mendoza where all the vineyards are located. We rented bikes for the day and made our way to three different bodegas. Our first wine tasting included the tasting of 5 delicious wines. It was unbelievable how good it was. Kacey got bit by a dog on the way to this place, luckily only bruising her and not breaking the skin! Kacey just was having an unlucky weekend. Our second bodega included a full meal of pasta and a glass of delicious wine all for around $8 dollars. It was a great place and we actually ran into the other three girls that I had spent the first day with. We met some Argentine men who really tried to work their charm with some of the other girls! It was great to talk to locals though about Argentina and Chile, and their perceptions of the US. On to the next bodega, an olive oil farm that also had jams, chocolates, and sweet liqueurs. UNBELIEVABLE. This full day ended of food, wine and laughter only came out to be around $40 dollars including travel, and gifts. It was hard to beat but somehow on our way home we found a cafe that was 50% off and we devoured an entire cake, with drinks as well and only payed around three dollars. Saturday was a day one can only dream about and I'm so, so happy we got to experience this day.








Sunday was another day spent downtown, the park, the markets and several cafe's. It was a magical weekend that ended with a long night chatting with a few Chilean travelers in our hostel over wine and beer. Everything about this weekend was magical and special and I can't believe my luck. It was the best first traveling experience I could have had, besides a few hiccups in the beginning. My first time in Argentina really makes me want to go back and see more of the beautiful countryside and people who were so welcoming and wonderful. Quite a long post I know, but there was just so much good that is worth sharing! I've been here a full month now and it's starting to speed up! Only 5 more and the thought is terrifying.  Stay tuned for future adventures :)


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Camille. So fun to read.

    ReplyDelete